Saturday, June 28, 2008

More Reflections on Parenting


As I was going to sleep last night, thinking, as usual, about my children, the imagery of this poem by Kahlil Gibran came to mind, and I thought I'd post it on my blog (primarily in reference to my dilemma of two days ago...it often takes me a while to resolve something in my mind, or even express it.) I liked the analogy represented in the poem - it has stayed with me since I first read it:


'On Parenting' by Kahlil Gibran

...

You may strive to be like them,

but seek not to make them like you,

For life goes not backward

nor tarries with yesterday.

You are the bows from which your children

as living arrows are sent forth.

The archer sees not the mark upon the path of the infinite

and he bends you with his might that his arrow

might go swift and far.

Let your bending in the archer's hand be

for gladness;

For even as he loves the arrow that flies,

so he loves also the bow that is stable.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I love the poem! I have often felt that many people judged me as disinterested in my children as they left the nest. This has never been true: I have always been excited to see where the arrows flew!