Tuesday, August 12, 2008

Word of the Day: Prosaic


I am ambrrassed to admit that I did not know the definition of the word 'prosaic' -- until now. And now that I know the definition of the word, the word itself makes sense.


prosaic: unimaginative, commonplace, dull; like prose instead of poetry; lacking wit


I searched high and low on the Internet to find 'prosaic' used in actual sentences, but didn't find any. (Okay, I didn't spend that much time looking.) So I decided to write a few of my own:


"A centerpiece of fresh flowers can turn the most prosaic meal into a romantic occasion."


"Her prosaic letters arrived like clockwork every Monday detailing the ordinary events of the previous week."


"Next to creative writing, she found laundry to be the most prosaic activity of all, yet she was compelled to do it."


1 comment:

Unknown said...

And all this time, I thought Prosaic was an anti-depressant.