Wednesday, March 9, 2011

A Few Thoughts and Quotes on Health and Walking

I've talked to several people recently who have seriously injured themselves exercising. I am talking broken hips, broken backs...serious stuff! In thinking about this, I realized I am probably meeting so many of them at this point in my life because I am reaching a certain age and the bodies of my contemporaries are falling apart. (I know, I know...mine is, too, but I don't want to think about that.)

So here are some health related quotes:

Health nuts are going to feel stupid some day, lying in hospitals, dying of nothing. - Redd Foxx

Be careful about reading health books. You may die of a misprint. - George Bernard Shaw

A man's health can be judged by which he takes two at a time - pills or stairs. - Joan Welsh

Walk: The body advances, while the mind flutters around it like a bird. - Jules Renard

Let no one be deluded that a knowledge of the path can substitute for putting one foot in front of the other. - M. C. Richards

It is good to collect things; it is better to take walks. - Anatole France

An early morning walk is a blessing for the whole day. - Henry David Thoreau

A vigorous five-mile walk will do more good for an unhappy but otherwise healthy adult than all the medicine and psychology in the world. - Paul Dudley White

The sum of the whole is this: walk and be happy; walk and be healthy. The best way to lengthen out our days is to walk steadily and with a purpose. - Charles Dickens

Take a two-mile walk every morning before breakfast. - Harry Truman (Advice on how to live to be 80.)

You have to stay in shape. My grandmother, she started walking five miles a day when she was sixty. She's ninety-seven today and we don't know where the hell she is.
- Ellen Degeneres

No comments: