Sunday, December 8, 2013

It's Never Too Late to Become a Mature Adult

Here I am, 49 years old and finally seeing myself as an adult, except when I'm not.

I do not consider myself a "Mature Adult"...
...when I stay up much later than I should
...when I eat all of the foods I shouldn't eat
...when I don't eat any of the foods I should eat

...when I sleep in
...when I avoid all forms of exercise
...when I don't wear a proper coat in bad weather
...when I procrastinate
...when I buy something with a credit card
...when I don't take the time to make my bed, or put my clothes away, or clean up immediately after dinner

 I do all of the above occasionally -- some regularly. 

I am also suspicious of my claims to adulthood when I laugh at Will Farrell commercials, when I delight in simplistic works of 'art,' and when I shy away from social situations and teacher confrontations.

I think for me the key questions are:
1. Can others depend upon me? and
2. Can I depend upon myself?

 
The answer to the first question is almost always YES. As a child I learned to be hyper responsible, because for a variety of reasons I had to be. When I became a wife and mother, that sense of responsibility quadrupled. 

The answer to the second question is not as clear-cut, because I do not take care of myself. I cannot depend upon myself as much as others can depend upon me. 

A few days ago I woke up with a thought which became the title of this blog post: "It's never too late to become a mature adult." I don't want to be a totally mature, stodgy adult -- I just want to be able to depend upon myself to make good choices for my present and future health and happiness. 

I think I am finally old enough (wise enough) to do that.

No comments: