Monday, September 26, 2016

On Friendship

Some QUOTES on FRIENDSHIP with my thoughts:

I praise the Frenchman – his remark was shrewd, / How sweet, how passing sweet is solitude! / But grant me still a friend in my retreat to whom I may whisper, Solitude is sweet! – William Cowper (1731-1800)
[I enjoy solitude more than most people, but I also love spending time with friends.]



But oh the blessing it is to have a friend to whom one can speak fearless on any subject; with whom one’s deepest as well as one’s most foolish thoughts come out simply and safely. Oh, the comfort – the inexpressible comfort of feeling safe with a person – having neither to weigh thoughts nor measure words, but pouring them all right out, just as they are, chaff and grain together, certain that a faithful hand will take and sift them, keep what is worth keeping, and then, with the breath of kindness, blow the rest away. – Dinah Maria Mulock Craik(1866)
[This sort of friend is very, very rare and special.]

A true friend unbossoms freely, advises justly, assists readily, adventures boldly, takes all patiently, defends courageously, and continues a friend unchangeably. – William Penn
[Funny how you never think of historical figures like William Penn having friends.]


A friend is, as it were, a second self. – Cicero
[An amazing observation for someone born in 106 BC, proving that wisdom is timeless.]


A friend is a person with whom I may be sincere. Before him, I may think aloud. – Ralph Waldo Emerson
[Emerson is on the short list of famous people I hope to meet in the hereafter.]


True happiness consists not in the multitude of friends, but in the worth and choice. – Ben Jonson
[True, true, true, though I think happiness is much broader than friendship.]

I am, and till then, and ever after will be your admirer and friend and lover. - John Adams, writing to wife Abigail
[The joy of being married to your best friend!] 

Is there a dearer name than friend? If there is, teach it to me. – Abigail Adams, writing to husband John several years after their marriage
[Oh, I love this! I adore John and Abigail Adams' relationship.] 

The glory of friendship is not the outstretched hand, nor the kindly smile, nor the joy of companionship; it is the spiritual inspiration that comes to us when we discover that someone else believes in us
and is willing to trust us with their friendship. – Ralph Waldo Emerson
[To be spiritually inspired by a friend is a wonderful thing!]





No comments: