Wednesday, July 17, 2019

Good Ground


No actual progress to report on the weight loss front - but I do have a new plan. Enough about that already. I'm even tired of hearing myself talk about this most tedious of all subjects.

Who really cares how much I weigh besides me and a handful of people who are genuinely concerned about my health?
I don't like letting petty, vain obsessions take over my life. So I will update here from time to time when there is news, but I will now move on to other more interesting topics...

Like dirt. Specifically, the wonderful, intoxicating smell of dirt.

A few months ago I scooped some potting soil into an old milk jar to use as an object lesson for my Sunday School class on the Parable of the Sower in Matthew 13:

3 And he spake many things unto them in parables, saying, Behold, a sower went forth to sow;
4 And when he sowed, some seeds fell by the wayside, and the fowls came and devoured them up.
5 Some fell upon stony places, where they had not much earth: and forthwith they sprung up, because they had no deepness of earth;
6 And when the sun was up they were scorched; and because they had no root, they withered away.
7 And some fell among thorns; and the thorns sprung up and choked them:
8 But other fell into good ground, and brought forth fruit, some an hundredfold, some sixtyfold, some thirtyfold.
9 Who hath ears to hear, let him hear.

There are so many things I love about this passage of scripture, but for the purpose of this blog post, let me draw attention to verse eight: good ground. As opposed to the wayside, the stony places, and the choking thorns. We need to cultivate good earth in our lives where seeds of faith may grow into good fruits.

So I passed this jar around the class saying this is what good earth looks like and smells like. And I brought the jar home and put it on my desk, where I breathe deeply from it at least once a day. It smells like the shady woods after rain when water is still dripping from the leaves.

It may be the greatest smell in the world. 

Now back to the parable. Jesus's disciples asked him to explain it further, and this is what he said about verse eight:

23 But he that received seed into the good ground is he that heareth the word, and understandeth it; which also bearers fruit, and bringeth forth, some an hundredfold, some sixty, some thirty.

In a recent speech condemning the industry surrounding elective abortion, I said, "It is incumbent upon all who see the atrocity of abortion to denounce it." I said this on microphone at a large gathering at the Capitol rotunda, because somewhere along the line I realized not everyone CAN see it. Some do not have eyes to see it or ears to hear it.

So I ask myself: Do I hear truth and wisdom? Do I understand it? Do I bring forth good fruit as a result?

I hope so. That is my goal - and it's even more important than losing weight.

No comments: