Monday, December 24, 2007

Merry Christmas!

Just in case I have any regular blog readers out there (though I suspect that I do not) I thought I would pause from my preparations this Christmas Eve afternoon to wish you a Merry, Merry Christmas!

Why don't we use the word 'merry' more often throughout the year in any other context? It's a better word than most of its synonyms, implying joyous contentment and quiet laughter. Maybe it's because of the Christmas connotation, but the word makes me think of rosy cheeks and twinkling eyes. A person cannot be merry and angry at the same time, or merry and envious, or merry and dissatisfied.

So when I wish you a Merry Christmas, I am wishing you the absence of all of the negative sentiments as well as the presence of all of the good sentiments that should accompany the season.

2 comments:

Cheryl said...

I agree with your statement.I've always wondered why people can't say "Merry Thanksgiving" or "Merry St. Patricks Day"?
By: YourLittleGirlAHA

Unknown said...

Have a Merry Day! ~El Scott