Monday, December 31, 2007

A Favorite New Year's Eve Poem


Thomas Hardy wrote this poem on New Year's Eve, 1899 as he awaited the dawn of a new century. At first blush it appears to be negative, but it is actually full of hope:

The Darkling Thrush

I leant upon a coppice gate
When Frost was spectre-gray,
And Winter's dregs made desolate
The weakening eye of day.
The tangled bine-stems scored the sky
Like strings of broken lyres,
And all mankind that haunted nigh
Had sought their household fires.

The land's sharp features seemed to be
The Century's corpse outleant,
His crypt the cloudy canopy,
The wind his death-lament.
The ancient pulse of germ and birth
Was shrunken hard and dry,
And every spirit upon earth
Seemed fervourless as I.

At once a voice arose among
The bleak twigs overhead
In a full-hearted evensong
Of joy illimited;
An aged thrush, frail, gaunt, and small,
In blast-beruffled plume,
Had chosen thus to fling his soul
Upon the growing gloom.

So little cause for carolings
Of such ecstatic sound
Was written on terrestrial things
Afar or nigh around,
That I could think there trembled through
His happy good-night air
Some blessed Hope, whereof he knew
And I was unaware.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I think I actually understood this poem. That's possibly a first for me! It's almost like a painting in words, isn't it?

Wow. Nice poem.

Mark said...

Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening
Whose woods these are I think I know.His house is in the village, though;He will not see me stopping here To watch his woods fill up with snow.My little horse must think it queer To stop without a farmhouse near
Between the woods and frozen lake
The darkest evening of the year.
He gives his harness bells a shake
To ask if there's some mistake.
The only other sound's the sweep
Of easy wind and downy flake.
The woods are lovely, dark and deep,
But I have promises to keep,
And miles to go before I sleep,
And miles to go before I sleep.
by Robert Frost

“Poetry is the music of the soul, and, above all, of great and feeling souls.” Voltaire

Read my blog myspace.com/thelamite
Love,
Mark Brocksmith