Wednesday, September 24, 2008

Trying to Live in the Moment


I wish I had some profound insight or hilarious experience to share, but it's just me - blogging to get the old blog off the screen. It haunts me sometimes how long a blog can linger in cyberspace as if its contents constitute the author's 'famous last words.'


I've been struck lately by the quick passage of time. Whole months are going by in what used to feel like a week of days. It's September 24th already? Impossible!


So in order to slow time down a bit, I'm trying to focus more consciously on each day and date. What's possible today? What do I want to accomplish? Journals (and blogs) are good for chronicling that sort of thing, but in order to make time slow down a bit, I need to appreciate more of its incremental moments.



Human felicity is produced
not so much by great pieces of good fortune
that seldom happen,
as by little advantages
that occur every Day.
Benjamin Franklin, Autobiography, 1771

No comments: