Saturday, January 17, 2009

American Idol


This is the eighth season of American Idol, and the first one I have watched. I saw a few minutes of the preliminary competition last year, but I was discouraged by the unnecessary roughness of the judges. Why couldn't they issue a polite and succinct "Sorry, you're not what we're looking for" and let the wannabes leave with some self-dignity intact? I was so turned off I decided to turn it off.

By the end of the season, a local phenom was vying for first place, so our whole family started watching. (Scott knows and occasionally gigs with David Archuleta's dad, a professional trumpet player.) It was so hokey at times I felt like I was back in the '70s watching Donny and Marie, but I have to admit that despite all of my reservations I enjoyed it.

So this year when they started promo-ing the new season I decided to give it a try from the beginning. They've aired two episodes so far with a broad range of talent and I've learned something I had forgotten, or maybe never really believed but should have understood.

I've learned that you can't tell how well someone will sing by the way they look.

That got me thinking and I realized you can't tell how well someone will paint by the way they look...or how well they will write or how well they will do anything! We think that looks indicate something, and I suppose they do indicate SOMEthing, but they do not indicate talent.

Two more thoughts on American Idol, as a new fan of the show:

1) It might also be called American Idle, since so many millions of people watch it. I felt like a total couch potato watching 2-hour episodes TWICE this week!!!

2) Who am I to critique anyone else's voice? I do have an opinion and I think I can tell if someone sings well or not, but I'm not 'in the business.' That's part of the show's appeal, of course, and it works.

3 comments:

Diamomd said...

Cheryl,

The first few weeks of American idol, is easy for me to watch. Because I don't feel like I need to be glued to the TV. I can be in a different room. If I hear someone that sings well, then I run into the front room and rewind a second and watch that person. However, after the tryouts I am totally glued to the TV.
~Leah

Catherine Smart said...

I am commenting to several of your last blogs, all thought provoking and funny, but surely the famous P.I. of West Jordan can find that teacher! What a thrill it would be for her to know that she had made such an impression. Teaching is a lonely and often thankless occupation. By the time it means anything to a student, a good deal of time has passed. Keep trying!

Cheryl said...

I will keep searching for Mrs. Sanders! I have some more tricks up my sleeve...avenues I have not completely exhausted...I don't expact her to remember me -- I just want to let her know that I remember and that I'm grateful for her influence in my life. Many of your students will feel the same way about you, Cathy -- I'm sure of that! Because I feel that way about you, too.