Sunday, January 11, 2009

Movie Review: Bonneville, 2008


I was excited to see the movie "Bonneville" from the time I heard what it was about when it was released last summer. It's a road trip movie (and I almost always enjoy those) about 3 Mormon women traveling together, which sounded like an interesting premise. Unfortunately, despite both of these elements and some spectacular scenery (mostly in Utah), I really did NOT enjoy it. (Though it is a movie about Mormons, it was made by 20th Century Fox.)

So right now I am experiencing 'movie letdown.' This is a familiar sensation for me -- I buy into a movie scenario whole heartedly, imagining possible plot twists and character dynamics, but when I actually see the film, I discover that the screenwriter or director or actors (or all three) failed to live up to the concept's potential.

In the case of "Bonneville," I would pen the blame on the screenwriters. The actors did the best they could (Jessica Lange, Kathy Bates, Joan Allen and Christine Baranski), which implies that the director was doing his job. The cinematography was excellent -- so it was the script that lacked substance and plausibility.

What exactly bothered me about the film?


  • Carol, the most devout of the three women, was stereotypically uptight and humorless. In my own experience, devout people have depths of emotion. If anything, they take more meaning from life and experience it more profoundly.

  • Marjean, the rebel, reveals her coffee and Scotch drinking habits to the other two women as soon as they've left Pocatello city limits. These are women she has supposedly been intimately acquainted with for decades.

  • The whole purpose for the trip is never resolved. Never! Quite a disappointment after nearly two hours.

  • Details...like driving away from Bryce Canyon when they're supposed to be driving toward it...Like dropping a hitchhiker off in the middle of no where...Like meeting up with a big rig trucker in three states and on schedule.

  • Too much time spent mourning. It felt more like a drama than a comedy.

This review would not have discouraged me from seeing the film -- that's how much I wanted to see it. I have a feeling I will remember it more fondly with time.

No comments: