Friday, April 24, 2009

Welcome Spring


It's April 24th and it's raining -- that's the way it should be. For now, at least, the snow is gone.


My son mowed the lawn today with unusual eagerness -- the first grass cutting of the year -- decapitating dandelions before they could turn into seed globes and blow through the neighborhood. Trees all over town are white, pink, dark pink, lime green, even purple.


People have literally come out of the woodwork of their houses onto the streets and sidewalks of our town.


Spring is busting out all over, as the saying goes. Which reminds me of a quote that isn't really about spring (EVERYthing reminds me of a quote, as you know): "See God opening millions of flowers every day without forcing the buds." (The quote is from a Hindu guru. It's amazing to think about how nature works with apparent effortlessness, isn't it? Something to think about while doing yoga...)


Bonus quotes I stumbled upon (and enjoyed) while looking for the flower quote:


May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, dangerous, leading to the most amazing view. May your mountains rise into and above the clouds. -- Edward Abbey


Some people follow their dreams. Others hunt them down and beat them mercilessly into submission. -- Neil Kendall


Laughter is the shortest distance between two people. -- Victor Borge


The greatst part of our happiness depends on our disposition, not our circumstances. -- Martha Washington


I've been on a constant diet for the past two decades. I've lost a total of 789 lbs. By all accounts, I should be hanging from a charm bracelet. -- Erma Bombeck


I believe if I ever had to practice cannibalism, I might manage if there were enough terragon around. -- James Beard, food writer (b.1903)


My mother had a great deal of trouble with me, but I think she enjoyed it. -- Mark Twain


Hell is anywhere you are with a bad attitude and no gratitude. -- Anonymous (SO TRUE!)

No comments: