Saturday, October 3, 2009

Movie Review: "The Invention of Lying"


What an awful, awful movie!

I had two good reasons for seeing this film: 1) Ricky Gervais, who wrote, directed and starred in it, and 2) an interesting premise.

But it was really, really, painfully bad.

I sat in a packed movie theater for two hours and hardly heard a chortle. While I found a few of the movie's details mildly amusing, I laughed audibly maybe twice. So if it wasn't the comedy it was supposed to be, what was it? A pseudo-intellectual 'let's pretend' exercise with no redeeming qualities.

Warning: If you disregard this review and see "The Invention of Lying" anyway, don't say I didn't warn you!

SIDE NOTE:

Before the movie, I sat through the usual line-up of previews of coming "attractions" - all of them looked bad, too. What is happening?! I've come to the conclusion that Hollywood needs me.

1 comment:

Ivy Skinner said...

I, too, am saddened that it seems like there are no good movies out there anymore. I used to be dying to see several movies. Now...I look through the lists and only one might be semi-interesting.
Daniel and I did see "The Invention of Lying" this last weekend and during the movie, I kept asking myself, "Do I like this?" The answer, I still don't really know. There were several parts I laughed at, but several parts that annoyed me (aka, the whole story). But I stayed entertained cuz I was always surprised, I couldn't figure out where it was going. (Little did I know, nowhere. And Jennifer Gardner bugged the heck out of me!) As I think about it more, the less I liked it, which is really disappointing cuz it LOOKED like it'd be a funny movie. sigh...Hollywood DOES need you! :)