Tuesday, February 16, 2010

A Hint of Spring



I know it's a little early (February!) to be thinking "Spring!" but this morning as I drove my daughter to school I detected just a hint of spring in the atmosphere. Not a bud on a tree yet, snow still on the ground (our yard is always the last to melt), but when I rolled down my window (we don't really roll them anymore, do we?)I thought the air seemed almost warm and it smelled fresh and earthy, like the ground is ready for spring to begin. So am I!

If I were more than a theoretical gardener, I would be planting my peas about now. Peas thrive through snowstorms, and we probably have a few snowstorms left before it really is spring. One of my favorite memories of Denmark is of eating sugar snap peas in the garden - just popping them open and enjoying their goodness while standing in the furrows. I'd never enjoyed anything so fresh and sweet.

The Danes really know how to appreciate spring. As soon as the sun came out after the long, dark winter, my host family and I were dragging our eiderdowns out to the back yard where we lay under them on lounge chairs to sun our faces. We still needed the thick feather blankets to prevent frostbite, but we were soaking in the sun.

No comments: