Thursday, July 8, 2010

Mom, I'm Bored


We are only about a month into the summer and my 10-year-old is bored. In that time, her brother has returned from his mission. We've driven to and from Seattle and we've cruised to Alaska. She's had sleepovers, she's gone swimming and to piano lessons, and she's visited the zoo (with a friend's family, but hey, she visited the zoo, where she saw the new baby elephant! Come to think of it, they went on a picnic, too.)She's also gone to the movies...I think it's been a very entertaining summer so far.

It drives me crazy when my kids complain that they are bored! I have noticed that my two children who are big readers complain of boredom less than my other two children who are not. Reading occupies their time between big 'events,' I suppose, and takes them to far away places in their imaginations. I need to get Emily hooked on books...

When my kids say they are bored, I respond in different ways. Sometimes I give them work to do. Sometimes I brainstorm with them on things they could be doing. Sometimes I facilitate an activity they would like to do. Almost always I remind them that I never get bored because I have a lot of hobbies and interests to keep me busy.

Some quotes on this subject:

The man who lets himself get bored is even more contemptible than the bore. - Samuel Butler

The secret of being a bore is to tell everything. - Voltaire

We (writers) have the power to bore people long after we are dead. - Sinclair Lewis

An hour's industry will do more to produce cheerfulness, suppress evil humors, and retrieve your affairs than a month's moaning. - Ben Franklin (who is rapidly becoming my favorite historical figure!)

1 comment:

Mark said...

“Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness, that frightens us most. We ask ourselves, 'Who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous, talented, and famous?' Actually, who are you not to be? You are a child of God. Your playing small does not serve the world. There is nothing enlightened about shrinking so that people won't feel insecure around you. We were born to make manifest the glory of God that is within us. It's not just in some of us; it's in all of us. And when we let our own light shine, we unconsciously give other people permission to do the same. As we are liberated from our own fear, our presence automatically liberates others.”
Marryanne Williamson