Friday, July 23, 2010

Trite But True


I almost always strongly dislike BAD poetry, which I would define as poetry that is sacharine sweet, preaches a sermon, and rhymes at the same time.

But once in a while I find that I like a poem that is nonetheless syrupy, preachy and rhyming all at once. I think the difference lies in whether or not I trust the poet's sencerity and believe in the overall sentiment of the 'work,' such as it is.

I came across this poem about 20 years ago, and I have been drawn to it again and again over the years. I am posting it on my blog today in case anyone else could benefit from it as I have. The author is unknown.

"God hath not promised skies always blue,
Flower-strewn pathways all our lives through.
God hath not promised sun without rain,
Joy without sorrow, peace without pain.

But God hath promised strength for the day,
Rest for the labor, peace for the way,
Grace for the trials, help from above,
Unfailing sympathy, undying love."
P.S. I found the picture on the Internet, but it is from the Navajo Loop Trail at Bryce National Park. It's short (just 1.3 miles) but it's the greatest trail I have hiked in my limited experience. I thought it related to the poem because there aren't any flowers in this scene and the blue sky is hard to see so far overhead. When you're at this point along the trail, it's difficult to imagine how you'll ever get out. It's rocky, slick and steep in places, and you don't always get to pick which way you'd like to go. You just have to follow the course water has taken over the centuries and literally 'go with the flow.' But the overall experience is breathtaking! It's a great metaphor for life.

3 comments:

Catherine Smart said...

Yes, very nice. Sometimes true is what makes it trite.

Anonymous said...

how are you?

Awesome blog, great write up, thank you!

Anonymous said...

Good point, though sometimes it's hard to arrive to definite conclusions