Friday, April 29, 2011

Royal Wedding in Review


At 1:45 this morning I got up, woke everyone else up, whipped up a stack of cucumber finger sandwiches, put platters of "biscuits" (cookies) and chocolate dipped fruits, out on the table, and sat down to watch the Royal Wedding live from London expecting to fall asleep. What followed on television was so riveting to me, so foreign yet so familiar, that I couldn't sleep afterall and didn't doze off until the happy couple arrived at Buckingham Palace - then I was out like a light.

I've been fighting sleep all day, and giving in to sleep with long cat naps, but I don't regret being 'up in the night.' The entire wedding felt like a dream.

I loved the dresses -- Kate Middleton's and her sister Pippa's. I loved the bright green trees inside the Abbey. I loved the brothers, William and Harry, in their regalia, and the queen in her canary yellow suit and hat. I didn't stay awake long enough to see the kisses from the balcony, but I love that there were two of them instead of one and that the crowd roared its approval.

I stayed awake to witness it because I know it will be a memory 30 years from now and I like to make memories for myself and for the people I love.

No comments: