Monday, February 24, 2014

Movie Review: The Lego Movie (2014)




I can't believe I'm saying this, but I very much enjoyed The Lego Movie. (And I think that may be a gross  understatement.)

Scott and I saw it with our two daughters (yes, girls!) on Friday night. All of us had to talk ourselves into seeing it (I bribed the girls with popcorn), but we all more or less LOVED it. We may have enjoyed it so much, in part, because our expectations were extremely low, but three days later I find that I keep thinking about it and singing the ridiculous, irresistable, and aptly named theme song, "Everything Is Awesome!"

I had read one review in advance with a spoiler alert about the ending, which I will not reveal. The review intrigued me enough to compel me to see it, though. Almost all of the reviews have been over the top in favor of the movie. This Lego Movie (as opposed to others that have been released directly to DVD) is targeted to all age groups and both genders. It was not made just for little boys who currently play with Legos.

Some of the things I loved about it:
  • lots of humor and almost no potty humor
  • the inclusion of all of the major types of Lego sets -- Wild West, Star Wars, astronauts, skyscrapers...
  • the inclusion of a little romantic intrigue (always a plus when it's well done)
  • Batman's personality
  • Morgan Freeman in a semi comic role
  • the whole premise
  • the fun twist at the end, which brought clarity to the whole film
  • no cursing of any kind, which is quite amazing for a Will Farrell movie (and I do not usually like Will Farrell movies. Despised 'Elf,' for example.)
The Lego Movie is all about creative freedom and individuality. No wonder it was so great!

My only complaint about it is that the special effects were a bit off-putting, but the story made up for it, as a compelling story always does.

No comments: