Tuesday, November 27, 2007

Cartoon Identification


I identify very strongly with two cartoon characters -- Lucy van Pelt and Lisa Simpson.

For Lucy, happiness may be a warm puppy, but dog kisses clearly go too far. She is a practical person who likes to win, but she is romantic, too (Schroeder). She's competitive, and dispenses advice readily because she has the world all figured out. Ask Lucy a philosophical question and she will give you a concise, direct answer without pulling any punches. In fact, she might punch you at the same time, just to get your attention or to make an indelible impression.

Lisa Simpson is best known as the brains of the Simpson family. (Bart may be just as bright, even brighter, but he uses his intelligence diabolically, earning him the lion's share of the attention and admiration of their parents.) Lisa is an idealist, always searching for a cause. She takes ethical positions and stands her ground against all obstacles. Her talents are unappreciated, but she works at them anyway. The slightest hint of praise buoys her. She sees the big picture and tries to convey the view to those around her, who are focused instead on minutiae. She admires other talented, idealistic people freely. But Lisa isn't perfect. She loves Ren & Stimpy and Crusty the Clown as much as Bart does. She can be jealous of the new kid in school who's smarter than she is. It's precisely because she isn't perfect that she's so believable. Though crudely animated, she seems like a real human being with an unpredictable nature, occasional moodiness, and human yearning.

Though I relate to both of them, I am not exactly like Lucy or Lisa. While I sometimes wish I had more of Lucy's brash confidence, I would not want to be as heartless and cruel as she sometimes is. Lisa, though scheming and caustic at times, is almost always well-intentioned and kind.

2 comments:

Mark said...

Cheryl,
I was rolling over in laughter as I read this post. I have thought about you as Lisa for ever, but Lucy just fits like a glove. Your absolutely right......Would you say I'm a Bart?
Love,
Mark

Cheryl said...

For a long time, Mark, you were Maggie, but you have evolved into a blend of Lisa and Bart, I think. Anyway, I'm sure you're not Homer or Marge. -- Cheryl