Wednesday, January 23, 2008

I Have Nothing to Say


It's frightening to sit down at the computer, ready and willing to blog about SOMEthing, and realize...I have nothing to say.

I suppose I could comment on the weather: cold, gray tundra.

The tiger moon last night: huge, round, and orange, rising from the cleft between two mountains, striped with thin clouds.

The calm expertise of my dentist, who quietly regards my decaying mouth as a professional challenge, patiently repairing all its potholes.

The popularity contest that has replaced the political process. I heard recently that we will never have a president again who is not attractive enough for television. Anderson Cooper indicates that my candidate, Mitt Romney (Yes, I am a Mitten), is not hip enough to be president. He and others liken Mitt to a character from "Leave It to Beaver" -- Ward Cleaver or Eddie Haskel, take your pick. And Tucker Carlson says that no one, NO ONE, in the press corps following Mitt Romney likes him.

Could the press dislike Romney for one of the following reasons:

1) As journalists, the press corps is comprised primarily of democrats. They are pre-disposed not to like any Republican, and Mitt is the quentessential Republican.

2) Mitt doesn't give his press detail enough breaks. He is on the move, working much harder than they'd like to be working. It's hard for them to keep up with all of his campaign appearances; they can't even sleep in.

3) The press corps does not understand the concept of public service. They are suspicious: Why does Mitt Romney want to be president so badly that he contributes much of his own money and all of his time? There must be something in it for him - at the very least, power and ego-gratification.

4) Mitt's press detail does not have enough opportunities to party. They do not travel in a Straight Talk Express bus with open access to the mini bar. It's bores-ville.

5) Mitt's press detail has little hope of uncovering anything juicy or controversial. Mitt is happy, successful, and squeaky clean. The worst dirt Edward Kennedy could find on him during his senatorial campaign was that he and Ann had never had to struggle financially like most Americans. (Of course neither had the Kennedys, but, hey, they were the Kennedys, and anyway, it worked.)

Maybe I shouldn't have gotten started on politics. I do try to avoid politics on my blog.

Maybe I should write about laundry (I could make my whole blog about laundry) or writing (and how to avoid working on actual writing projects) or how much my dog dislikes the groomer or how much I'm looking forward to spring or how great it is to be a mom.

I could write about any of those subjects, but I won't -- not this time. Thanks for checking in.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

He who laughs last laughs best--just try not to fret about it. This is probably best done by turning off the news and commentary media as much as possible. I doubt you will miss much; they repeat themselves so frequently. In spite of the media Mitt is polling very well in Florida among mere citizens! Of course, the media will imply that 26% of the Republicans in Florida are LDS! (Wouldn't that be tsunami of conversions?) I think Super Tuesday will provide a ground swell.

Teacherpreacher said...

Laundry is so dependable and there is honor in that.

Unknown said...

"I have no Comment to Make." Not even to say "great blog, honey", or to mention your politically savvy insights, or your clever way of turning something about nothing, into something about something. Nope, I have not one comment to make. Nada.