Thursday, March 13, 2008

In Praise of Phyllis ("The Office")


Though I miss all of the characters on "The Office," I seem to be looking forward to seeing Phyllis the most. I liked her character from the beginning, probably because she is the most realistic of all the characters on the show. (I always like real people better than celebrities, and, in her case, she was a real person involved with casting when they asked her to take a role on "The Office.")


I think every office in America has someone like Phyllis who does her job, quietly keeps her opinions to herself until asked (then willingly expresses them), and tries to contribute to the team.


These are the things I remember about Phyllis:


* She recently married Bob Vance of Vance Refrigeration (and if you don't know who that is, then you've got a lot to learn about Scranton!)

* She wears awful perfume, including some scented with evergreen.

* She went to high school with Michael Scott, so they are the same age, even though Michael pretends she is much older than he is.

* She was a cheerleader in high school (and in real life, she was a cheerleader for the St. Louis Cardinals NFL football team.)

* She wears large glasses that emphasize her big eyes.
* She'll wear brassy make-up and big hair in order to make a sale.
* She has her finger on the romantic pulse of the office.
* She serves humbly under Angela's direction on the party committee, often gritting her teeth as her suggestions are disregarded, even ridiculed.
I'm glad the whole show isn't built around Phyllis, and I'm not saying she's ready for a spin-off show of her own, but I like that she's there doing her job kind of at the center of Dunder-Mifflin.

No comments: