Thursday, November 20, 2008

More Food for Thought...


Emily's depiction of the ultimate ice cream sundae
Here are a few quotes I've collected recently -- I hope I haven't already posted any of them on my blog...Enjoy!


My dog is worried about the economy because Alpo is up to $3.00 a can. That's almost $21.00 in dog money. - Joe Weinstein


Courage is the price that life exacts for granting peace.
The soul that knows it not, knows no release
From little things:
Knows not the livid loneliness of fear,
Nor mountain heights where bitter joy can hear
The sound of wings.
-- A.E. Housman


Language is a power tool. -- Herbert Gans, Columbia University sociologist


It makes little difference how many university courses or degrees a person may own. If he cannot use words to move an idea from one point to another, his education is incomplete. -- Norman Cousins, autobiography



The right word may be effective, but no word was ever as effective as a rightly timed pause. – Mark Twain



Be brief; for it is with words as with sunbeams – the more they are condensed the deeper they burn. – Robert Southey



The only man I know who behaves sensibly is my tailor; he takes my measurements anew each time he sees me. The rest go on with their old measurements and expect me to fit them. ~George Bernard Shaw



The most exhausting thing in life is being insincere. ~Anne Morrow Lindbergh



Up to a point a man's life is shaped by environment, heredity, and movements and changes in the world about him. Then there comes a time when it lies within his grasp to shape the clay of his life into the sort of thing he wishes to be. Only the weak blame parents, their race, their times, lack of good fortune, or the quirks of fate. Everyone has it within his power to say, 'This I am today; that I will be tomorrow.' ~Louis L'Amour


One cannot spend forever sitting and solving the mysteries of one's history. ~Lemony Snicket


Don't worry about the world coming to an end today. It's already tomorrow in Australia - Charles Schulz

No comments: