Tuesday, November 11, 2008

The Truth Behind Saturday Morning Cartoons




I sat down to watch the Saturday morning cartoons with my daughter, Emily, age 8. The only cartoon she really likes is Tom & Jerry (she has excellent tastes -- that was the only cartoon I ever really liked, too), but we decided to give "Horseland" a try. From what I could tell, it's about a fancy riding school, and all of the horses are beautiful with long, flowing, pastel-colored manes. It was basically a soap opera with cartoon horses.

Emily tolerated the storyline okay, but she came to life for the commercials, which featured one toy after another (I guess they really did ban breakfast cereal advertising a few years ago). Soon Emily was rummaging through the supply cabinet for a pen and an index card to make out her Christmas list. The list grew longer and longer. By that evening I had purchased one item on her shopping list -- a toy she had never seen before watching the Saturday Morning Cartoons.

It took me a minute to figure it out, but the Saturday Morning Cartoons are really nothing more than the Home Shoppping Network. Parents beware, and have your children do chores on Saturday mornings instead.

2 comments:

Ivy Skinner said...

Yeah, we got the Walmart Christmas edition toy ad in the mail and it's been popular "reading" around here. My Emily's Christmas list showed up on the refrigerator in lovely alternating green and red marker. :)

Anonymous said...

Aren't you the clever girl? Whatever happened to really good Saturday morning TV? Skye King and Fury?