Friday, March 27, 2009

What's with Madonna?


What is it with Madonna adopting/stealing other people's 'orphaned' children?



Aren't there enough truly parent-less children in the world she could adopt?



Three years ago, she flew to Malawi to adopt a boy whose father truly wanted him but could not afford to raise him. He had placed him in an orphanage after his mother's death so that his son would be fed and clothed, but he hoped some day to be able to care for him himself. When he objected to the superstar's petition to adopt his son, he lost the boy anyway. The child flew off to England, presumably never to be seen again by his father.



Now Madonna plans to adopt a Malawi girl to be the boy's sister. Both of her parents are dead -- that's a good start -- but her maternal grandmother is close to the child and plans to adopt her when the girl turns six. By the time the little girl turns six, however, she will be living on another continent. Her grandmother will probably never see her again.



There are thousands of children in the world -- and probably in Africa, probably even in Malawi -- who have NO ONE in the world to care for them under any circumstances. Why doesn't Madonna try to bond with one of these children instead of children who have family ties? I just don't get it.



I am not Madonna, but if I were, I like to think that I would have used my wealth and power to make it possible for the young boy's father to raise the boy himself. I like to think I would have expedited the union between grandmother and grandchild. Then I would have continued my search for a true orphan to adopt of my own.


I am certain that people who live in poverty love their children no less than Madonna loves hers. The poor people of Malawi have almost nothing of a material nature, but the most fortunate among them have families, which may be their only source of love and happiness. Why take their children from them just because you're Madonna and you can?


(The cynical side of me has considered the possibility that the boy's father and the girl's grandmother are only trying to extort money from Madonna. That's a possibility...but all the more reason to select a child with no living relatives.)

No comments: