Tuesday, July 28, 2009

Gone again...


I took Scott to the airport this morning to fly off to Boston. Although July would not be my preferred month to visit New England, I am more than a little bit jealous. Tonight he'll be at the Red Sox game courtesy of a software vendor, tomorrow he'll drive up the coast in his free time after meetings...maybe see a lighthouse. I'm picturing him at a restaurant wearing one of those ridiculous white plastic bibs eating a lobster. Ah, the life...

But life is good here, too. It's all attitude.

Which reminds me of a quote from Jeffrey R. Holland:NO MISFORTUNE IS SO BAD THAT WHINING ABOUT IT WON'T MAKE IT WORSE.

Isn't that the truth!

I caught myself just this morning complaining aloud about the heat while we were rushing around packing Scott for his trip. (STRESS + HEAT = COMPLAINING) I hate the heat! If I could live in a cave this time of year I really, truly would. Central air conditioning doesn't even cut it, though I'd be miserable without it. July and August make me yearn for Alaska. I am hot and fussy one sixth of the year!

But whining about it doesn't help. It really does make it worse.

I've been doing what I can to keep cool, like wearing my hair up off my neck. I've made gallons of fresh-squeezed lemonade, the official taste of summertime. It makes me feel Southern and reminds me to slow down and conserve energy. I've also been swimming a lot, alternately freezing and baking at the community pool. I close my blinds in the afternoon. I avoid going anywhere at all during the heat of the day.

Now to reduce half the irritation I need to stop complaining about it.

No comments: