Friday, January 8, 2010

Seeing the Fox



We've lived near a small airport for 13 years now, so we drive past the field almost daily. Security there has been enhanced since 9-11 and the entire perimeter of the very large tract of land is enclosed in a tall chain link fence with barbed wire strung across the top. No one can get in and no one can get out, except a family of foxes.

I remember in high school learning that foxes are virtually impossible to see in a city -- not because they aren't there but because they really are sly. So when I saw a fox in the field the first time I was very surprised. I started scanning the field every time I drove by. Sometimes months would pass between sightings and I'd fear the worst, only to see a fox again, usually solo and usually in winter. With amber red hair it's hard for them to blend into the snowscape.

I see foxes fairly often in the winter, but infrequently enough to consider it a talisman of good luck. I saw the fox today out in the center of the field dragging his bushy tail on top the crusted snow.

It gives me a thrill to see wild animals in their natural habitat. It stokes my imagination. I try to picture where their den is, what it looks like, and how many kits are inside. Seeing animals exposed to the elements also reminds me of how good we humans have got it.

2 comments:

Catherine Smart said...

I have seen a fox only twice in my life and each time I was enchanted.

Cheryl said...

"Enchanted" is a good word for it. After posting this the day before, the girls and I saw three foxes (one adult, two kits) hunting together yesterday afternoon at the airport. I read that they hunt more in the daylight when they have kits in the den and need a larger food supply. Otherwise, they mostly hunt at night.