Thursday, February 21, 2008

Please Suggest New Words

When I learned years ago that Canola oil (CANadian Oil, Low Acid) had been re-named from its original designation as 'rapeseed oil' for obvious marketing reasons, it got me thinking: many of the words we use every day NEED to be replaced. By replaced I mean euthanized, not euphamized. For example:

vegetable

We know we are supposed to eat vegetables, and they can be delicious if fresh and properly prepared - I'm not denying that - but the word is too long, too outdated, and too British. Is it supposed to be three syllables or four? With emphasis on the first or second? Some people have attempted to make the word more child-friendly by calling vegetables 'veggies,' which is all right in its plural form, I guess, but if mothers and nutritionists sincerely want us to eat more vegetables, we need to come up with a snappier, sexier word. Your suggestions?

artichoke

What a perfectly awful word for anything as edible and delicious as an artichoke! I know lots of people who think they don't like artichokes, and I can only assume it's the name, which has made this vegetable the brunt of jokes (Arty Chokes 3 for a Dollar...) Artichokes do not look edible and they certainly do not sound edible. Nothing that is safe to eat should have the word 'choke' in its name. But they are one of my very favorite 'veggies.' Your suggestions?

asparagus

Ditto asparagus. I LOVE it despite its name, but how many people (especially children) shun it entirely because it sounds just awful! There's nothing that tastes better or is better for you than asparagus -- it deserves a better name. Any ideas?

broccoli

Ditto broccoli, a vegetable that has been defamed by past presidents. I knew a three-year-old boy who loved broccoli, but he didn't call it by its proper name - his mother taught him to call it 'little trees.' Mothers shouldn't have to be so wise and sneaky. We need a new word!

hummus

I never tried hummus until I was in my 30s, probably because its name makes it generally unpopular. It hardly sounds like the party food that it is. Hummus is made of ground up chickpeas (try not to picture fuzzy yellow baby chicks) mixed with delicious seasonings and it's great as a dip or a spread. But with a name like hummus, who would eat it spontaneously without being culturally exposed to it, urged on by someone who's gone before? It sounds like some sort of gelatinous residue, so it needs a new name. Any suggestions?

housewife

As mentioned in my post yesterday, we desparately need a new term for this word! There are some well established euphamisms, but none of them quite works for me: homemaker (not too bad, I guess, though I picture a burley guy in steel-toe boots), caretaker (think: cemetery), domestic goddess (think: Zha Zha Gabor), helpmeet (too Biblical), stay-at-home mom (we are usually mobile; we do occasionally leave the house)...No matter what we call 'housewives,' I think we can all agree that no one is or can be married to a house. Any ideas?

I'm sure there are a hundred other words that could be added to this list. Please let me know if there are any that bother you and we can start a crusade.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Suggestion: Kumquat.

Mark said...

I am rolling on the ground with laughter. I completely agree with you. Especially about artichokes. It sound like cholesterol riddled heart clogging junk food. Quite misleading.Heres some alternatives.
Vegetable- Veg ( I really like the way the English say it pronounced Vej.)
Artichoke-Artihope
Asparagus- This one never bothered me, its like a short story about saving some guy named Gus. A Spare A Gus.
Hummus- Hippie Spread ( I love this stuff. mmmm Every other Hippie I've known likes it too, I have called it Hippie Spread for a while now)
Housewife- TOWANDA! From the classic novel Fried Green Tomatoes
no other phrase quite exemplifies the importance and strength of womanhood.
Love,
Mark