Monday, February 11, 2008

Word of the Day


Being a word person, I thought it might be fun and interesting to feature an occasional 'Word of the Day' on my blog. (As if I hadn't already driven most of my once loyal readers away...)


To be featured on my blog, the words must meet the following criteria:


1. I must not know the definition of the word with any degree of certainty. It must be at least vaguely unfamiliar to me.

2. I must believe that the word would be useful to know. I must be able to imagine using it at some point in the future outside of a standardized testing scenario.


So, without further ado, my first word of the day:


bucolic: suggesting an idyllic rural life; pastoral; charming in its pastoral setting


An actual example found on the web: "Sonoma Valley is an attractive place -- a bit of boutique bucolic, for sure."


Why I chose this word: I heard Laura Ingraham use this word in a sentence the other morning on her radio program and realized I really should know that word!

No comments: