Sunday, April 27, 2008

Just Tagged...My Follow-through

My sister-in-law, Leah, 'tagged' me with the following:
1. Grab the book nearest to you at this moment.
2. Turn to page 123.
3. Post the fifth complete sentence on that page to your blog.

The book closest to me was The Five People You Meet in Heaven by Mitch Albom. I read the book in 2004, but had it out on the piano, ready to send to my little brother.

The fifth sentence on page 123 reads: "I don't understand."

This book had a profound effect on me emotionally at the time I read it. I have rarely burst into tears while reading a book. When I finished reading it in the middle of the night, I wrote a long letter to my husband before going to sleep.

Some of the passages I underlined in the book include:

***But all endings are also beginnings. We just don't know it at the time...

***People often belittle the place where they were born, but heaven can be found in the most unlikely corners...

***You are here so I can teach you something. All the people you meet here have one thing to teach you...

***You didn't get it. Sacrifice is a part of life. It's supposed to be. It's not something to regret. It's something to aspire to...

***Sometimes when you sacrifice something precious, you're not really losing it. You're just passing it on to someone else...

***All parents damage their children. It cannot be helped...

***Silence was his escape, but silence is rarely a refuge...

***Each affects the other and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one. (The book's last sentence.)

No comments: