Tuesday, February 3, 2009

Some Quotes from the Great Greek Philosopher, Anonymous


When I was about ten, my dad introduced me to Bartlett's Quotations, and I really did think that Anonymous was an actual person who seemed to know something about everything. (Aside: I also thought Arson was the name of a person. News reports on a rash of fires in Kansas City when I was young always ended with "Police suspect arson." I wondered why they didn't just go arrest him.)

Anyway, I started my own quote collection in high school and I have several books of them now, which I'm transcribing to computer bit by bit. Many of them are by 'Anonymous.'

Here are a few to give you an idea of Anonymous's breadth of knowledge and insight:


Ideas are very much like children – your own are wonderful.

Some people have 100 acres of possibilities and about ½ acre under cultivation.


A coincidence is a small miracle in which God chooses to remain anonymous.


An extravagance is often something that your spirit thinks is a necessity.


You don’t get what you deserve; you get what you negotiate.


Corduroy pillows make headlines.


Sorrow looks back. Worry looks around. Faith looks up.


The reason a dog has so many friends is that he wags his tail instead of his tongue.


My idea of housework is to sweep the room with a glance.


Being a husband is like any other job. It helps if you like the Boss.


Health is merely the slowest possible rate at which one can die.


Love is like playing the piano. First you must learn to play by the rules, then you must forget the rules and play from your heart.


Peace is not the absence of conflict; it's the absence of inner conflict.


2 comments:

Acton Family Member said...

Cheryl:
Don't forget the conjugations.
Anonymous= Nobody knows the author.
Inonymous= I know the author but noone else does.
Unonymous= You know the author but noone else does.
GPA

Catherine Smart said...

You were and are such a cutie.