Saturday, August 8, 2009

Book Review: "How Elizabeth Barrett Browning Saved My Life" by Mameve Medwed


After seeing "Julie & Julia" this afternoon, I came home and plopped down to finish reading this novel, which I had started a little over a week ago. (I did play tennis this morning -- I'm not strictly a couch/movie theater potato!)

My one sentence assessment would be: It wasn't great literature, I didn't marvel at the author's depth of meaning or well-crafted phrases, but I enjoyed it.

A down-on-her-luck 35-year-old woman named Abby owns a small antiques business in Cambridge, Mass. where she grew up as the only child of a celebrated Harvard professor. She's had four semi-serious relationships in her life, but she's sworn off men, when she goes on the Antiques Roadshow with a chamber pot she'd inherited from her now-deceased mother. The chamber pot turns out to have some real value, and when her step-siblings see the PBS broadcast they want to split the value with her 50-50. A legal battle ensues.

I won't tell you how it ends in case you read it, but it is fairly predictable. All right, very predictable. Nonetheless, I kept turning the pages to confirm my suspicions.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Your blog keeps getting better and better! Your older articles are not as good as newer ones you have a lot more creativity and originality now keep it up!