Monday, August 17, 2009

Two Very Short Poems

Here is a short poem I would like to commit to memory:

"Happy the Man" by John Dryden

Happy the man, and happy he alone,
Who can call today his own.
He who, secure within, can say,
"Tomorrow do thy worst, for I have lived today.
Be fair or foul or rain or shine,
The joys I have possessed, in spite of fate, are mine.
Not heaven itself upon the past has power,
But what has been has been,
And I have had my hour."

I know about karma, but I had never heard it described like the tide below:

"A Creed" by Edward Markham

There is a destiny that makes us brothers
None goes his way alone
All that we send into the lives of others
Comes back into our own.

1 comment:

Bev said...

Hi Cheryl, I tried to comment, but I can't find it, so, here it is again...

I did the second poem in calligraphy---decades ago---I really like it too.
Bev