Saturday, August 22, 2009

An Ice Cream Mystery...


For as long as I can remember, I've loved ice cream. Baskin Robbins' baseball nut has always been my favorite flavor, but at various times I've liked all kinds: butter brickle and butter pecan, fudge brownie, mint chip, jamoca almond fudge, burnt almond fudge...the list is virtually endless. Chocolate is usually, but not always, involved.

I've eaten ice cream until all of my taste buds have frozen. I've eaten ice cream for breakfast. I've eaten ice cream in several countries, in dozens of states. I've had Marble Slab, Maggie Moo's, Baskin Robbins, Swensen's, Haagen Dazs, Ben & Jerry's, Leatherby's, and Cold Stone, not to mention every brand available in grocery stores and a dozen soft serve establishments, at least. Ice cream used to be my favorite, favorite, favorite treat.

Used to be, because it isn't anymore. And I never saw this day coming. I could not have imagined it ever would.

The scriptures talk about when salt loses its savor, but what happens when ice cream loses its flavor? What does that mean?

I don't know if I finally matured and outgrew ice cream, or if I finally exceeded some kind of per capita lifetime limit, but I no longer crave ice cream at all. Never ever.

I have sensed this happening for some time, but last week when our family went out for ice cream after a cultural event I could not even finish a little paper cup of my all-time favorite Haagen Dazs flavor. And I wasn't conting calories either -- I was willing to eat it, but it was more of a bother than a pleasure and I ended up giving it away.

I have no idea what is happening, but I suppose I am glad that ONE temptation of mine has been taken away. Maybe next week, it will be back, but for now it's gone, mysteriously.

No comments: