Thursday, August 27, 2009

Smoothing the Rough Edges of Life


Two days ago while going through my morning routine I sprayed on my favorite perfume ('Pleasures' by Estee Lauder)and realized that perfume is one of those things that smooths the hard edges of life. It's a small thing - the aroma of perfume - but it makes life smell really, really good. For varying lengths of time after spraying it, I walk around in my own luxurious cloud.

This realization got me thinking about other things that smooth the rough edges of life. So far my list is short, but every time I stop to think about it, it gets longer. Here are a few items I would include:

cool shade
the sound of running water and lapping waves
wildflowers
snowmen
the smell of burning leaves in the fall
sincere compliments
laughter
soap
pellett ice